Tuesday, March 15, 2005

China - Shanghai - 3/15/2005

Well, I'm sad to say that after all the medicines I took last night I didn't manage to shake off this cold. The only thing that makes me feel a bit better is that I'm not the only one who is feeling this bad. During our meetings with companies our group seems to be a chorus of coughs emanating from all over the room. The bus rides are even worse, since the space is so confined. One of our classmates described our bus as a "Hot Zone" in reference to bio hazard areas. Hopefully all the water and nyquill i'm taking, and the fact I've locked myself indoors most of the day may improve the way I'm feeling soon.
Today we got to visit an technology/industrial park that is being developed in the outskirts of Shanghai. This visit was interesting because it gave us a glimpse of how the Real Estate market is developing in Shanghai. The rumors of a bubble may be very true, since this tech park not only provides office space, but also markets the fact that they provide access to two universities being built on campus, and even financing for startups. Even though the park is well outside of Shanghai's downtown area, they are trying to get the same prices for the office space, which can only mean a lack of supply that creates a bubble like situation.
After the visit we headed back to the downtown area for lunch, where oh surprise! we had another "Lazy Susan" Lunch with even more food than normal, but a very similar fare. Besides the fact that my cold made me even less hungry.
Once we were done with lunch we all climbed once again on the bus to go to Delloite's office on the Bund. To say that their offices has an amazing view is an understatement. Out of their 30th floor window one could look down on the whole Bund (Shanghai's main coastal avenue, where the talles and most impressive buildings stand) and the river. While we waited for the meeting to begin we were transfixed watching the scene below us. Unfortunately the presentation was less enthralling than the view downstairs (I guess that's what happens when accountants make presentations... they're dry and long-winded).
By the time the presentation was over I packed myself up on the bus and headed back to the hotel while the rest of my project team met with part of the Jiaotong student team to visit technical malls and obtain information on PC sales.
For dinner I broke down since I didn't want to go out where I'd be out for too long. In the end I found a McDonald's a block away from the hotel and I had a burger and fries.
After that exciting day I have now taken a Nyquill to hopefully sleep well tonight.
Looking forward to feeling better tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home